Search This Blog

Thursday, April 15, 2021

Write your own headlines. "Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself"

 I just read an upsetting post on facebook, that's nothing new, but rarely are they personal. This one was personal, so I responded, I didn't necessarily feel better but I was compelled to say something, so I did. The person who posted the article was immediately apologetic after she read my comment. I know she never intended to scare or harm me in any way so although I can't unsee what I read I accepted her explanation and it's over. 

That's not always the case. I have followed the facebook page of a woman who absolutely means psychological harm as she mocks precious things. I shouldn't take it, but I do, I also should unfollow her but I don't, ( some kind of masochistic tendency on my part). I have facebook friends who are philosophically opposite of me. I love smart people who disagree with me, but we don't try to trigger each other. We still talk about grandchildren, recipes, work and getting older. We don't mock each other, and that is rooted in respect. One has had heart issues, not similar to mine but anytime a surgeon touches your heart you have an immediate kinship for someone else who has. Another is just like me but we are photographic negatives politically. She is passionate, bold and never suffers fools...I like her. (I could say we are both a pain in the ass but that might not be politically correct)

After I thought about the upsetting post on facebook tonight for way too long, something else I read came to mind.....This is from an 87 year old man in a conversation with someone who was finished with all the bad news and wanted to give up on the world. The old man said, " I learned a long time ago not to see to the world through the printed headline. Instead I see the world through the people who surround me. I see the world with the realization that we love big. Therefore, I just choose to write my own headlines:

HUSBAND LOVES WIFE TODAY

FAMILY DROPS EVERYTHING TO COME TO GRANDMA'S BEDSIDE

OLD WOMAN MAKES A NEW FRIEND

So, like the old man I've decided to write my own headlines. I will let others write about what they see and I will write what I see. My words will come from what I know for sure. My headlines will be about the people around me also. 

Today my headlines come from Rumi, a 13th Century Persian Poet. I read some of his work when I was simply at my lowest I embraced his philosophy of hope and I refer to it often....

                                     "Live life as though everything is rigged in your favor"

And

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself


Remember the little girl who was throwing starfish back in the water after they washed up on the beach? A man came by and made fun of her efforts by saying, "There are too many starfish on the beach you can't possibly make a difference." She picked up another and while holding it in her hand said, "It will make a difference to this one." And she threw it back in the sea. We can all make a difference today...one kind word, one nice note, one hug...

Today let's write our own headline of love, hope and optimism. xxoo








7 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Keep writing your own headlines. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I, too will write my own headlines! "Sun is Shining" "Snow Finally Gone" "Bestie Here for a Visit"
    This is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent, as usual. Keep writing your headlines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent, as usual. Keep writing your headlines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great post! Thank you so much for sharing this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate you making this article available, the rest of the site is also high quality
    wordpress
    blogspot
    youtube
    មាន់ជល់

    ReplyDelete
  7. สล็อตเว็บตรง โบนัสแตกบ่อยฝากถอนไม่มีขั้นต่ำ ผ่านระบบอัตโนมัติสะดวกสบายเล่นได้ทุกที่เกมสล็อตทำเงินให้คุณแบบไม่อั้น PG SLOT เว็บตรงแตกง่าย จัดเต็มทดลองเล่นได้เลยที่ pg-slot.game

    ReplyDelete