Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

In the Blink of an Eye

I have always known that life can change in the blink of an eye, we all know that, but what do we do when life literally changes in the blink of an eye?

On November 20 of last year I blinked in a big way.

I  remember so little....Sunday night we came home from the airport with our oldest daughter who had just come in from Texas for Thanksgiving week. Everyone went to bed except me. I love being alone when it is quiet and I can read, think or just watch TV. About 10 I went to bed and immediately experienced the sharpest pain in my chest, unlike anything I have ever felt. I jumped up and thought I could "walk it off". I got as far as the den and couldn't walk any further. I literally crawled back into my bedroom and woke up my husband. I was terrified and I know I terrified him. The first thing we did was have a prayer, then he called our good friend Karla, who is an emergency room nurse. She came right over and it only took her a moment to see I needed to be in the hospital. It is so foggy from there on.....I remember the firefighters coming because they were not happy to be there and made me walk to the gurney (no worries, Karma has dealt with them) But that is the end of my memories until Tuesday afternoon. I was unconscious for about 36 hours.

When I woke up I was surrounded by my family. I remember how happy they all were. Huge smiles on their faces and each one hugged me and told me how grateful they were.
Raymond was right next to me holding my hand, Trey and Heidi were there..But that was confusing because they were supposed to be in Italy on their honeymoon. I saw Ashleigh, Mikey, Emma and Kacy, everyone was there. Then my confusion turned to reality. I couldn't move very much, and from all the tubes, machines and pain I assumed there had been an operation so I checked for an incision. I looked like an autopsy.

What happened to me?





One of my doctors walked in the room and introduced herself to me. She said "you had an acute aortic dissection, which means your aorta had a tear in it and you were bleeding internally, if the surgeon had not repaired it when he did you would have died. In fact most people die from this, you are our Thanksgiving miracle."

She said died...she said you would have died. I immediately discounted the word miracle and focused on "died".  And then I had to let it go....too much for right now. Reality was pretty basic at this point when the nurse asked me what my pain level was from 1 to 10..... I held up all 10 fingers.

My change of heart was beginning.

Part 2 to follow...















28 comments:

  1. Wow, Donna...so grateful you are ere and able to write about it...and what was up with the firefighters...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try and write about the firefighters with humor...it was an interesting part of the story

      Delete
  2. This is getting interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My darling Bret...what a great friend to take the time to talk to me after I got home. it brings new meaning to bless your heart which I mean with all my heart.

      Delete
  3. Bless your heart. Keep writing. You've been given another chance to share your joy and wisdom. And, don't scare us like that again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The miracle of timing.....and I appreciate how you make sure to always bless my heart....thank you

      Delete
  4. We are so grateful for your miracle. Do I need to send your fireman nephew out there to teach those guys a few things? I'm certain he would be happy to set them straight!!! We love you, sister. (Sandee)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think I would have enjoyed having him here. that part of the story is very small, and we have tried to make it very funny

      Delete
  5. Love you to pieces and so glad you are here
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, it has taken a while to start writing about this...such an odd occurrence

      Delete
  6. Thank you for posting, Donna. I've been thinking about you so much. I'm interested in the details of your experience. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh. My. Goodness. Thank you for sharing! Your bravery, your pain, your sharing, and your life are such an inspiration to me. Shame, shame on those EMTs. When I had a patient that I did not connect with, I told myself that I needed to be compassionate for only 10 minutes, they had to live with their pain and their disease! A blessing on your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that blessing! I wish you had been riding with the firemen....another story for another time

      Delete
  8. Wow. I know this is what took John Ritter and maybe Alan Thicke. Oh, Donna, so glad you got help and fast. I'm sure your family is so grateful. Thanks for sharing. I think this is an important story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Alan Thicke died - and according to the news it was the same - I finally began to realize what had happened to me. It was very sobering indeed,

      Delete
  9. Oh that is so so so scary! I am so terrified of heart issues. You are so lucky, and I know your loved ones are so happy you are here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the one thing that concerned me most was how much I frightened my family...I love them all so much.

      Delete
  10. Love that your survived my dear friend. You have and will continue to inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You certainly had an angel on your shoulder and everyone is so glad you survived. And now you'll thrive! Blessings to you, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that sentiment that now I will thrive...thank you

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful way to write about one of the scariest things you must have experienced. Thank you for sharing with us. I'm glad you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you came by to read it....it has been life altering...

      Delete
  13. Oh. My. Goodness. Can't wait to read the rest . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with all of us. I'm so glad that everything turned out okay for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, just read this, so happy you're still with us. Where's part 2 and how are you now?

    ReplyDelete


  16. My husband who was cheating on me almost every week is now a loyal and dedicated man, my problems are gone!, my husband came back 3 days after when DR.MACK told me that my husband will return i thought it was a joke but when my husband came home he prepared a meal for me, he dressed the bed and hide under the blanket with the children, when i came home i couldn’t believe what i saw, so i decided to sleep at the chair see what happens next only to see him come and show himself on me and started kissing me then i now realize that DR.MACK is the true spell caster, its has been two weeks he came home, this love spell have done wonders in my marital life, i will advice anyone who need help to run to Dr_mack@yahoo.com for he will help you bring back your lost husband!

    ReplyDelete