Search This Blog

Sunday, October 7, 2018

And The Journey Continues -

No journey ever went off without a hitch and my adventure is no different. It is annoying but I'm just going to learn from it and move on. I had a long standing appointment with my primary care doctor last week, she wanted to go over some blood work I had done before I started going to Biometrix. It was a really hard week, I had a full weekend as we did our annual "Fall into the Holidays" and then an Octoberfest for some incredible clients. But the part that was the hardest was my little dog Sadie passed away. Dogs just have our hearts and it was sudden and quite awful. But I did my best to be Scarlett O'Hara and pulled it all together then soldiered on.

The doctor visit started badly as I saw the PA who didn't know me or my history. (There is nothing wrong with PA's I just wished she had read my chart before she came in the room) She asked very few questions, noted my blood pressure was high and it went downhill from there. She read from some paperwork listing the medications and vitamins I needed without taking a breath or asking me if I understood. So I got up,  told her I would think about it, and left.

I was depressed for the rest of the day...I want to get better, all better. But this PA made me feel old, infirmed and hopeless. I know I am improving, I feel better (well, except for the doctor visit) my clothes fit better, but I want to be all the way better.

Which brings me to last Friday morning When I took my blood pressure at home. It. Was. So.  High. Why? My cardiologist has cleared me to exercise but still reminds me "it could happen again" which does not engender any confidence. Before I started going to Biometrix I always wondered if I would leave the treadmill alive because the thought "it could happen again". When I arrived at Biometrix I told Anthony (the trainer) my blood pressure was pretty high that morning so he asked me to have my blood pressure checked again just to be on the safe side. What gym does that? I went to Brianna who took my blood pressure, she does all the blood work, EKG's, and other tests that have to be performed. She is medically trained and knows exactly what she is doing. After taking my blood pressure she cleared me but it was still high so she insisted I come back and have it taken again after I worked out.

My blood pressure didn't go down.....

So Brianna went back to her computer and scheduled more blood work along with a meeting with my Biometrix doctor who now knows me. It is confusing to have so many different opinions from so many doctors. A Primary doctor...a cardiologist and a heart surgeon...they all terrify me and non are on the same page. My page.....The cardiologist was upset because my surgeon ordered an angiogram, my cardiologist doesn't spend more than 3 minutes with me but during that 3 minutes was able to tell me not to listen to my surgeon about extra testing. He didn't check my blood pressure or look at my blood work. Some doctors just want to keep you alive, they are not interested in whether or not you are really living. I am relieved to have one doctor who sees me all the time and is available to me monthly if I need it.

I am thrilled that my wellness center (and that is what it is....it's not just a gym) has trained people to help me get better and not just revive me with a requisite defibrillator in case I pass out. They are there to prevent problems. I want someone to help me before something happens. Biometrix is a one stop shop, they will do the testing, the evaluating, and the healing. I am having more blood work done Tuesday and then the next Tuesday (not a season later) I can meet with the doctor who knows me, knows how hard I work out and knows what to do to actually help me.

A friend of mine told me that taking care of our health is job one. No one is going to do it for you, no one is going to work out for you, or take important tests, no one is going to stop you from overeating....this is a solo event. Don't think this blog is just for older people...good health starts early. If you aren't taking care of yourself now you will have to fix it when it is so much harder. Like me...I'm older and heavier and the whole thing is harder.

Learn from me and take care of yourself now.....if you don't feel well today find a way to get better.

Don't settle for less, you don't have to.

5 comments:

  1. Your problem with different opinions is so common, and it only gets worse as more chronic health problems develop. I know a woman who has been given exactly OPPOSITE directions .... one Dr. says "stay on the Lasix", the next one says "no more Lasix"...there is no communication! Lasix is kind of a big deal! Hang in there Donna,blood pressure is so complicated....someone will figure it out, even if it has to be YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After dealing with oncology for my son, and seeing there are some doctors who don't give up until they have an answer, I am impatient with other doctors :) But I explain to them I come from the cancer world so they get a little more patient with me. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, this breaks my heart for you and FOR US ALL. 17 years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 42. I had so many appointments, so many decisions, it was overwhelming. I said at the time that if I was a little younger I would have figured out how to become a patient advocate. It is a much needed vocation. You have said it- no one cares more about us that US, or knows how we feel. Doctors are "educated" on a very limited scale about so many things. And many only want to throw medications at something, without truly listening to the patient. Praying for your blood pressure and for God to reveal whatever is causing it and that it will be resolved. Grace and peace sister,

    ReplyDelete
  4. What s journey. We are all blessed that you are doing this for yourself. And us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. เว็บโป๊ออนไลน์ที่ดีที่สุดในประเทศไทย
    ทุกวันนี้การรับชมหนังโป๊ออนไลน์สามารถรับชมได้อย่างสะดวกและง่าย โดยการเข้าชมผ่านทางมือถือได้ทุกที่ทุกเวลาเลยก็ว่าได้ วันนี้เราอยากจะมานำเสนอเว็บดูหนังโป๊ออนไลน์ฟรีแบบเต็มเรื่อง และยังมีการอัพเดทหนังโป๊ใหม่ล่าสุดกันทุกวัน อีกทั้งยังมีหลากหลายหมวดหมู่หนังxxxให้ท่านได้รับชมไม่ว่าจะเป็น หนังโป๊ไทย คลิปโป๊ คลิปหลุด รูปโป๊ หนังโป๊HD หนังเอ็กฟรี และห้องเชือดที่เป็นข่าวต่าง ๆ อีกมากมาย ดูง่ายสะดวกรับชมได้ฟรีไม่ต้องเสียค่าสมัครสมาชิกหรือต้องไปจ่ายดูคลิปโป๊กลุ่มลับให้เสียเงิน

    ReplyDelete