Search This Blog

Thursday, November 1, 2018

A New Day...New Start



Remember how you felt the first day of school? Everything was new and possibilities were endless? Your shoes were new and your lunch box was filled with great food because mom wasn't burnt out yet. There were new people to meet, a new teacher to torture...the possibilities were endless!

And the same when the year is new, another opportunity to start over and renew. Remember the feeling you had to write down goals? Make resolutions? The idea of a "new year" was thrilling...the possibilities were endless!

It's in all of us to renew, to reassess, to simply start over, because we want to try new things, we want to learn new things. We want to break bad habits and create new great habits. As I said it is part of who we are. 

Then that little voice pops up, the one that whispers in our ear.....

"you have tried this before and failed"

Then the endless possibilities floats away when we decide to listen 


We are all hard wired to fail, expect it,  because first we are hardwired to learn, grow and progress. One of my favorite quotes comes from Thomas Monson..who said, 

"God left the world unfinished for man to work his skill upon. He left the electricity in the clouds, the oil in the earth. He left the rivers unbridged and the forests felled and the cities unbuilt. God gives to man the challenge of raw materials, not the ease of finished things. He leaves the pictures unpainted and the music unsung and the problems unsolved, that man might know the joys and glories of creation."

As we are solving problems, inventing things, creating things, writing songs, painting pictures and just thinking of things to do. We will fail...sometimes many many times. But we must start over.

Starting over, facing a new day, picking yourself up is joy!...not failure. 

Have you faced the same problem a hundred times until you just want to give up? Vincent Van Gogh said, " If you hear a voice in your head that says you cannot paint, then paint! That voice will be silenced." 

I have to start over too, just like everyone else. So when my vacation interrupted my "wellness routine". I became discouraged and I have found it so hard to get back on track. When we returned it was to the blessing of work but...work is also a great excuse not to exercise and with holidays approaching certainly not a time to eat well. I assessed this journey yesterday....strapped on my big girl pants and went to Xuberance to work out. Did I want to? No, because I knew how hard it was going to be. And I wasn't wrong..but I cannot give up, I cannot go back where I was when I am not even close to where I want to be. My trainer Anthony and I spoke honestly to each other. I told him what I wanted to do...nothing. He told me I had to decide right then what I wanted to do. I could live through a few hard days and be back on track, or stop.

Give up? Never!!

This quote embodies my truth...

"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." - Dr. Steve Maraboli

Without health I cannot do the things I want to do. Without losing weight I will not be able to chase grandbabies, I won't be able to MOVE!! Moving is getting easier..do I give up now? Last year I would have, this break would have given me the excuse to start over in January and I would have struggled through the holidays. No! So I went back, it was hard but I did it. 

Anthony believes I can do this, and I only need one person to believe in me, but I have a whole team who believe in me. Jeremy the dietician at Xuberance believes in me (no reason why, because I am his worst client - he is almost a counselor embodied in his nutrition knowledge with me) Paula who greets me every day encourages me to work out, eat well and get a massage! Dr. Docasar who carefully devised a list of supplements I need and gave me the good news that since I have started at Xuberance all my numbers are within range. Darling Gene and Lisa Carrejo who own Xuberance are personally invested in my success, they know everything I am doing. (They followed me on facebook during my vacation and asked how my cheesesteak was...red face) I have incredible support at Xuberance, but I have to plan my food, I have to go to the gym and work out....I still have to work this plan. And why has food been my achilles heel? I don't know, but I intend to make it my greatest achievement

The Obstacle in the path becomes the path. Never forget, within every obstacle is an opportunity to improve our condition." - Zen Parable

I never really thought of myself as courageous, but after reading this quote I saw myself and then realized it does take courage to reach your goals, to believe in yourself and to accept a life without constant comfort. 








I will forever be grateful to my friends at Xuberance who have given me every opportunity to get healthy, my most important job. Some health problems occur out of the blue, but many are preventable. Dr. Docasar gave me the good news that my blood work is great so I am off and running! 

What challenges are you facing that just a good shove won't cure?



5 comments:

  1. Oh, I so needed to read this right at this exact moment. I can't seem to stop eating and I'm not exercising or meditating. I'm happy! But my waistbands are tightening up and I sense at some point my body will rebel after all the ice cream and candy...Thank you, Donna, for writing this. I sped through it because time, but will reread again this evening when I can sink into it and savor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, I believe you can too. When it gets hard, I do this- do you remember the chant the Dawg Pound would recite when things looked bleak....I believe that we will win. Over and over in my head. I do believe you will win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to carry a Mini -Donna in my pocket everyday. You are such an inspiration!

    I'm so blessed that our paths crossed on that patio at Cherry Bello Lane.

    ReplyDelete