Search This Blog

Thursday, January 3, 2019

Everything was ok until a pot fell on my head....

Not many sentences begin with, "And then a pot fell on my head..." but this one will. December is our gloriously busy month. We get the opportunity to bring sweet things to sweet people all month and things truly go quickly. I admit I am like Bambi on the ice when I get moving too fast..


It all started when I had an important meeting with Channel 13 and the Golden Knights about a lunch we were helping with at a local Elementary School. I was putting things away and not really thinking. I didn't see it coming at all when a 5 gallon cast iron pot fell on my head from the top shelf. The first moment all I could think of was how stupid that was, the next second? oh my gosh! That hurt so much!!! Luckily for the first 2 days I just had a numb face and a huge bump on my head, I got through the meeting and the lunch without frightening small children..but the third day? 2 black eyes that just kept getting worse! A couple of days later the headaches started and it was enough for me to get a cat scan...no brain bleed (yikes) but a pretty bad concussion. During this time I lost my debit card (finally found it in a plant, luckily I had to water it) and my only car key...I looked for 3 days until I absolutely needed my car and the second the locksmith pulled into the driveway I found it in my apron in the clothes hamper.

I went into this season knowing (hoping) we would be busy so I decorated early. I put up the new Snowman tree




As I take things down this year I vow to reduce...I vow to reduce....I vow to reduce...

What I also learned this season is how much more energy and strength I have. Although eating is my bailiwick (Oh how I wish I were that person who said, "I'm full" and then moved on...however I seem to be this person...that tastes good and that tastes good and that tastes good...urgh!!!) However I will not give up and I take as a win the fact it was easy to keep exercising - (until I couldn't exercise while my head was repairing from the concussion) The pattern I have started with exercise has served me well, and when I went back after a couple of weeks it wasn't painful. Exercise is such a great deterrent to so many things that make us feel old. I will be the first to admit I get depressed when I don't do something physical. And I am excited that I have become the queen of squats! So much so that people send me information on squats which I pass along to everyone. My mantra is-


Squats will keep me out of the nursing home!!!

The last one sent to me was from a crossfit post Chelle sent me.

"The squat (sit to stand) is essential to your well-being. The squat can both greatly improve your athleticism and keep your hips, back, and knees sound and functioning in your senior years."

So I guess my mantra is a good one. Go and do some squats! And if you don't have the discipline to do them on your own go to a class, find a trainer, hop on youtube, but do some squats every day!!

Every day.....
Water
Vitamins
Veggies and fruit
10 minutes of sunshine
40 squats
Learn something new...it can be anything even if you have to go online to "Obscure facts"!!!

It's a new year and although I am not big on resolutions (usually broken by January 16th accompanied by a feeling of failure) I am a big fan of starting over, new day, new way of thinking, forget the past...
We can do anything we set our mind to...But you must believe you can do it. Until now I have not believed I can lose weight. I have been negligent of my health for so long that it is taking me a bit of time to dig out of this hole. But after proving to myself I can exercise, lift heavy weights and bring
down all my numbers I now realize I can also lose weight. I do believe I can do it.

I can do this...Watch me...

I am amazed at the changes so many of my friends have made at Xuberance, they are thinner, stronger and much healthier. A dear friend that we do a Christmas party for every year told me how intrigued she is with what I am doing. Although she is very thin she admitted she isn't very strong and she wants to be stronger. I hope she comes down to Xuberance (702-750-9420) to meet the amazing people there, people who want to help, guide, encourage and teach everyone who comes in. I know how hard it is to get started, so let someone else do the hard work of figuring out what is best for you. It is an experience that is worth every effort to get there.

Happy New Year, my wish for you is you achieve everything you want. Believe it!!!









3 comments:

  1. When I read "five gallon cast iron pot" I was so afraid the story was going to end well. Now, reading the rest of the post, I can breathe again. Please...don't...ever do that again (says a person who had a heavy flowerpot fall on her foot and broke a toe back in 2006. You win.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The list of things I don't want to do seems to be getting longer than the list of things I want to do....I noticed you blog about plants.....plants are my passion. We can talk about that soon...right?

      Delete
  2. I wish that I could join you at Xuberance! I have struggled with a couple of injuries (sore- not torn... rotator muscle and an over-worked knee from 160 squats in a day...) But I feel so good being able to do these things- and to share with people that age is not a deterrent!! I'm still stuck at the same weight I have been for 20 years, but, perhaps, some day, I will have the courage and the discipline to lose some of that... Love you, girl.

    ReplyDelete